The Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) has two application season cycles,
during which applicants can apply to residency or fellowship programs:
1) Residency cycle starts on September first, and the main Match occurs on the third Thursday in March. All residents who are accepted into programs start their training in July first.
2) In addition to the Match for first and second year residency positions, the NRMP's Specialties Matching Service (SMS) conducts matches for advanced residency or fellowship positions. The cycle for Sub-specialties in fellowship programs begins on December first and specialty matches occur throughout the year and each requires its own registration process with the NRMP. Fellowship training generally begins in July.
The successful applicant to the California Medical System for Residency Programs should possess the following:
- Complete ERAS application Medical school transcripts Valid (Final) Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) from CA Medical Board ECFMG certification (if applicable) Minimum of 3 letters of recommendation documenting clinical & academic excellence Outstanding scores (220+) on USMLE Boards Steps 1 &2 (no failures)
- Recent graduation (< 5 years) and/or recent clinical experience in the USA
- Written and spoken English language fluency
- US Citizenship, permanent residency, or EAD qualification is required